Sunday, December 18, 2022

Italy: Italy still on the podium in St. Moritz: Elena Curtoni is second in the super-G, Goggia closes in 5th place

Azzurre always protagonists in the Alpine Ski World Cup. After the double signed Curtoni-Goggia in the downhill on Friday and the victory of the Olympian in Saturday's replay, Elena Curtoni closed the weekend in St. Moritz with a second place in the super-G.

The Lombard skier crossed the finish line with a time of 1:13.74, just 12 hundredths behind the

winner Mikaela Shiffrin. To complete the podium the French Romane Miradoli, 40 hundredths off the top, while Sofia Goggia finished in 5th place, six tenths away from the American, who also precedes her in the general classification of the World Cup.

"I got off to a good start. The season has started on the right foot and this gives me confidence - said Elena Curtoni - since there are so many races. I felt fit, I'm happy to be able to do what I want on the track. I will not be in Semmering, I will have Christmas at home and I will focus mainly on speed. I think I can play good results and placings in all races, so obviously the head is there. I'm aware of what I'm worth."

"It was a pretty crazy weekend - explained Sofia Goggia, back from the hand injury suffered on Friday with immediate surgery - Downhill a second place in bad conditions and a good victory. Today a race played with intelligence. I didn't feel like pulling, I wanted to stay solid on my feet and I succeeded. Tonight I woke up with my hand throbbing, I was undecided whether to run or not, it was not easy. I made some smudges and some uncertainty, but that's okay. Now I have a hand rehabilitation and then we will prepare St. Anton and Cortina in the best possible way, also in view of the World Cup. However, I am very happy with this start of the season with three wins, a second place and two fifths. Merry Christmas to all Italian fans."

(Photo FISI)

No comments:

Post a Comment